Home Forum General Stuff What Athletic RULE would you like to see change ?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Trickstat trickstat 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

What Athletic RULE would you like to see change ?

Clubs have been invited by UKA to submit rulebook change proposals.
    “UK Athletics will be re-issuing UKA Rules for Competition with effect from 1st April 2018. Affiliated Clubs and Associations are included in the list of those who may send in proposed changes; individuals attached to a Club should have support from the Club before proposing any rule changes.”
    There are a few existing rules that come to mind , but my suggested change to the following one will probably be the most controversial and be rejected
    Subject : 4 x 100m relay for u15rs and u13yrs,for a pilot then if accepted move it upwards to u20yrs.
    Take a typical UKYDL match. The current problem is that the poor old track official standing, with red |& white flags ,at each of the change-over legs , particularly the first, has an impossible task of trying to see if six incoming sprinters all hand over the baton to the next runner before the baton passes over the outgoing hand-over line? Even a football linesman only has to go boss-eyed and look in 2 directions simultaneously. If the Track official spots and ‘red-flags’ one offender but misses one or two other offenders where is the fairness in that ?
    So my proposed change is to remove the disqualification rule should the baton pass the outgoing hand-over’ line.. ……In truth, it cannot be judged 100% fairly ………In my eyes the main purpose of the 100m relay is to see which team can carry the baton 400m the quickest.

#157306 Reply

PIAA

The higher competition rule. Make better competition access based on ability not vest.

#157307 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

What would you change about it?

#157309 Reply

PIAA

Get rid of it completely. Would have to get done alongside a change in competition structure but that’s still the thing I’d most like to see done.

#157310 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

It would lead to even more poaching from the clubs with most means.

#157311 Reply

PIAA

Only if you keep thenatiobal league. Which I wouldn’t.

#157312 Reply

Porter

PIAA – if you scrap leagues entirely and go for some sort of BMC/throwfest type events filling their space on the calendar that is fine. However I don’t think many people want that.

I’d say my local club would have lost about a third of the athletes I’ve ever coached once they got to u17 if it weren’t for higher claim.

#157313 Reply

PIAA

Not all leagues, just national league. There needs to higher comp but individual based not team based, i.e. Available on merit not geography or vest.

#157318 Reply

Hank

I think that the higher claim is just a ‘sticking plaster’ over a fundamental flaw in the system. Athletes need better competition as they improve, and leaving a club merely for competition purposes causes more problems than it solves. I think that athletes should have to wear their club vest at all NGB licensed events though, and not any old representative vest. I think that clubs should be able to advertise on a ‘vest’, as should the athlete….

#157319 Reply
    southlondonllad

Hank… I agree with your suggestion about athletes who wear their Club vest should be allowed a small space to advertise any sponsorship/support .
    Would this need an amendment to an existing UKA current Rule ? If so do you know which one.? Or would it need a new set of UKA rules ?

#157320 Reply

PIAA

You’d need a change in IAAF rules first.

#157321 Reply
    southlondonllad

Interesting PIAA. So are you saying that the Nike tick on vests is fine by UKA and IAAF rules but, say,’BT’ would not be acceptable ? I’m most ignorant on this subject of logos on vests , and unclear when a logo trips over to become an advert.

#157322 Reply
    Profile photo of cookie118
    cookie118

I’d remove the advertising rules, they’re a stupid hangover from the ‘amateur’ days and don’t really benefit anyone but the kit suppliers as far as I can tell.

If you look at triathlon plenty of “sub-elite” (i.e not regulars at world cups etc) make a living from the sport because there’s money in the advertising/sponsorship, but in athletics you’re on lottery funding or pretty much on your own. Relax the advertising rules, let more athletes make a living from the sport and I think you’d see the elite end grow.

#157324 Reply

PIAA

Yes SLL, there are specific rules on manufacturers logos on kit. They are IAAF rules. This is not something UKA can unilaterally ignore.

#157328 Reply

hank

If only UKA knew someone with influence at the IAAF…
    I actually think that domestic rules are purely UKAs jurisdiction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: What Athletic RULE would you like to see change ?
Your information: