Home Forum Racing, Training & Coaching Track & Field Throwing Cage Accident

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Zac 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Zac

Following the sad death of Abdullah Hayayei of the United Arab Emirates at World Para Athletics Championships London 2017, I hope the detail of how this accident could have happened is revealed promptly.
    We all put athletes into these cages on a regular basis. It is important that the detail about what happened is shared widely and quickly so we can all make the appropriate checks.
    What we don’t need is a bunch of “health and safety” experts barking new and expensive instructions at athletics clubs and stadiums, while the detail behind the incident remains obscure or hidden.
    Health and safety charlatans have once again had the limitations of their expertise revealed. What need are clear details about how the structure of the throwing cage failed, so those of us on ground, can take responsibility. This responsibility should never be delegated upwards.

#158729 Reply

temporary structure

Looking at the pictures, the cage that collapsed was a temporary structure that had been erected in a field outside the stadium – not a regular cage.

#158748 Reply

Zac

Can you post a link to any pictures of the fallen cage. I cannot find any.
    Thanks

#158754 Reply

temporary structure
    #158760 Reply

Zac

Thanks for the link. Based on these pictures, and the lack of breakage in the grass, it looks like the sort or contraption that could be picked up and moved!
    It reminds me of a conversation I had with John Lofts not long before he died when he told me he was hearing reports of steeplechase barriers breaking during competition. He said he thought they were being shipped in from China on the cheap, and being built by people who had no knowledge of athletics.

#158767 Reply

dec7000

Take a look at this incident at the recent European Under 23 Championships:

It appears thatcages, even in big stadiums, tend to be of a more portable construction. Some are designed to collapse in order to facilitate better viewing once the event is concluded.

#158771 Reply

Zac

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
    The power of top class throwers will obviously demolish an unfixed throwing cage over time.
    Thanks for the link.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Throwing Cage Accident
Your information: