Home Forum General Stuff Main Forum The Decline in British Marathon Running

This topic contains 59 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Uralcox 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chopkins
    chopkins
    Participant

Your response speak my sentiments exactly John. GB Athletics ark on about needing more talented athletes coming up through the grassroots but they are not offering development opportunities on the senior (or junior) level to make the next level to become truly competitive on the international level. And things like my situation don’t help this fact. I know I am not the first or probably the last who has been in this situation or similar situations with selections and stupid technicalities. Hopefully a GB representatives/ officials/ selectors reads my disgruntle blog post and things are changed in the selection process for future competitions, as like you stated many people have the same opinion as us.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of chopkins chopkins.
    #138993 Reply

OldScottie
    Participant

“Hopefully a GB representatives/ officials/ selectors reads my disgruntle blog post and things are changed in the selection process for future competitions…”

Have you informed them directly of your disgruntlement???

Otherwise expecting change to occur simply because they may happen to read your post (as if!) is a pretty forlorn hope…

#138994 Reply

slow dude

Not sending a full team if you have the athletes to do so doesn’t inspire the next generation. Why train hard if ‘good enough’ turns out not to be ‘good enough’. If 2012 was about inspiring a generation then 2014 is about putting them back down again. It can’t be costing the world to send on emote person, or a few more if we take other events as well, to Zurich.

#138995 Reply
    Profile photo of chopkins
    chopkins
    Participant

OldScottie, upon being told my time was not eligible because of the course technicality, I did voice up but didn’t push too hard my opinion as I didn’t want to burn bridges and ruin any possible chances of future selection. Hence why included my disgruntlement in my VLM blog post which has been pretty popular so there is a chance someone in British Athletics will read it!

And SlowDude comments are spot on too!

#138996 Reply

Bahrain
    Participant

I can’t see what the problem really is?

Eamonn Coghlan once told me when he was training for the 5000m he could always jog a marathon in around 2hrs 30mins without any marathon training. He also told me to run any quicker all he had to do was put in five 3hr runs very slow.

To prove his point he simply jogged behind Liz McColgan at the New York marathon when he was 39 years of age and sprinted the last 3 miles to clock 2hrs 25mins.

#139001 Reply
    Profile photo of timgrose
    timgrose
    Participant

Worth noting that generally Marathon qualifying times for major champs have to be set on IAAF approved courses. So that is not just a UKA requirement but THE requirement. A similar issue happened with Dublin & Tomas Abyu a few years ago as I recall.

Frustrating I am sure in this instance and why this was only just picked up on I don’t know but I guess it is the marathon version of not allowing wind assisted or manually timed sprint races so as to try and provide a common playing field for all.

#139030 Reply

john bicourt
    Participant

The Commonwealth Games does not set any qualifying standard for the marathon. England apparently does but purely at their discretion.

Eamonn Coghlan, a wonderful athlete that he was, never “jogged” a marathon in 2.30. If he said so then it’s just a bit of his charming Irish blarney and he certainly didn’t “sprint” the last 3 miles of NY to run 2.25!

#139032 Reply

I took Bahrain’s point to be “I’ve spoken to Eamonn Coghlan before” :)

#139041 Reply
    Profile photo of varg
    Garcia

chopkins – Your error is placing clowns into a position to make a subjective decision. I agree with your sentiments but feel that your next move should be to make any future decisions beyond doubt.

#139042 Reply

rules

I think Garcia is correct. If you want to make sure you are selected, then make sure you meet the selection criteria *to the letter*. While your performance is more than likely *equivalent* to a qualifying performance, it is still ineligible. I don’t actually have any arguments with the selectors enforcing these rules so rigorously. That’s why the selection criteria are there. I agree they should be more ‘proactive’ in highlighting some of the small print to relevant athletes, but ultimately it’s the athletes’ responsibility to read the rules and post an eligible qualifying performance. The bigger, related problem is when they relax the rules and make exceptions for some and not others, thus bringing subjectivity into selection decisions when it is generally easy to be completely objective in the sport of athletics (much easier than most sports).

#139043 Reply

john bicourt
    Participant

Wouldn’t necessarily or generally disagree but if the selection criteria is to adhered to, to the letter then no need for selectors. A computer can select based on the fixed criteria.

Also “selectors” have been notorious in the past for ignoring the selection criteria as when Peter Elliot was pushed aside despite having done all required, to allow Coe to step in, who hadn’t. Yes, we all know what Coe did at the Olympics but who is to say Elliott wouldn’t have done the same given his rightful place?

And, selectors have made other omissions and “preferred” selections, ignoring the original selection criteria.

#139044 Reply

Bahrain
    Participant

Just wondering after Mo Farahs marathon debut performance why he didn’t go to Battersea track and do one of his post race Salazar training sessions? It’s the thing to do now
    ISN’T IT???

It would be nice after Mos disappointing performance to hand back his marathon fee. Steve Jones did this at the Chicago Marathon when he under performed?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Bahrain.
    #139050 Reply

john bicourt
    Participant

I wouldn’t call Mo’s 2nd fastest all time British marathon and fastest ever British debut a “disappointment”! Maybe expectations were just too high from the media.

As for handing back any part of his fee, I would doubt that unless of course DB was able to have a clause in the contract that his fee would be reduced for failing to get SJ’s British record? But more likely Mo’s fee deal would have had a bonus clause that involved beating the record and also for above that too (which I think is standard for all the elite?)………The point is, we will never know Mo’s deal because it isn’t public and only Mo, Ricky Simms, Bedford and possibly Brasher and Bitel would know and they ain’t likely to disclose whatever it was to anyone!

I don’t know how DB operates the appearance contracts for any elite athletes these days but I do know from direct experience that NY demands a certain minimum time if outside the top 3. (perhaps London does too?)

If anyone should be giving part of their fee back it should be HG for blowing away a possible much faster race above the required pace going far too fast and not even making it to halfway as intended!

#139076 Reply

Steepler

Jones offered to give his fee back after he DNF’d.
    I guess Bahrain you may be jesting?

#139078 Reply

Pedant

Isn’t Mo’s time *only* the 5th fastest time by a Brit, rather than the 2nd fastest?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
Reply To: The Decline in British Marathon Running
Your information: