Home Forum General Stuff Team-Personal-Best ,has you Club signed up ?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of southlondonllad southlondonllad 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

No doubt you have all received your email today from EA’s 2017 Inspiration Project Officer, giving you the link to another new website which is being delivered by England Athletics and UK Athletics. But in case you haven’t, see below link.
    TEAM PERSONAL BEST….. ( a catchy promotional name, which doesn’t actually make sense, ….so perfect from our NGB’s).
    http://www.teampersonalbest.org.uk/faq
    It’s the first I have heard about it , but then again I don’t have ear close to ground like many posters here on Eightlane .
    Example, FQA: Q: Is it just for London ? … Answer: ..Absolutely not ! Team Personal Best is a national programme with events and activities delivered up and down the UK.

Has you Club engaged with this new initiative ?

#158254 Reply
    southlondonllad

Well its all kicking off. I’ve now booked onto my local FREE Workshop (take a look at the venue below).
    I really don’t whether to ..Applaud…..Laugh….or….Cry.
    “This summer England Athletics, in partnership with Sport England are delivering a series of workshops for club and community organisations who want to deliver athletics and running or are currently doing so”.
    Bowls Club, Pavilion, Randolph Avenue, Maida Vale, London W9 1PD.
    Wed 21st June 5.30pm

#158261 Reply

Zac
    #158333 Reply
    southlondonllad

Sorry Eightlaners. My planned visit to the EA Workshop at the Bowls Club Pavilion was curtailed. Sad, as I was really looking forward to the free homemade cakes being provided by the Committee …….mostly WI members ( or was it Towns Women Guild ?, I can’t remember).
    Apparently it was a bazaar satirical night with several pertinent issues being raised during the Q&A.
    Q1: Bowls is popular, included in the Commonwealth Games. How do you see it fits in with T.P.B.
    EA: T.P.B. ?
    Attendee: That’s your ‘Team-Personal-Best’. Its Why you are here ?
    EA: Oh, Yes…Well……..…Bowls….it’s a bit like under arm Shot Putt.
    Q2: Could TPB help most of our Men members to sprint 60m ?. They often have an urgency to visit the Little Boys Room.
    EA: I think you might be taking the ‘P’ ?. Next question. !!!
    Q3: Power of 10. – Is it an energy cereal bar ?….and is it legal ?
    EA: Yes its legal. It’s a database recording all your PB records….a bit like your NHS BP records seen by your DR.
    Q4: Who are England Athletics ?
    EA: We are your National Governing Body.
    Q5: Who are UKA ?
    EA: They are your other National Governing Body.
    Q6 : Who are British Athletics.?
    EA: Next question.
    Q7. I believe Track & Field athletic coaches are unpaid volunteers. Are their training courses Free ?
    EA: Err no., of ‘course’ not ( chuckles). The usual coach pathway is often over approx. 2 years and will cost up to ( whispers) £700…discounts available.
    Q8: My 11yr granddaughter wants me to watch her run 100m and Long Jump at a UKYDL away match. What would be a typical start and end to the day ?.
    EA: A really good question. Most clubs will arrange transportation. You will need to get to the pick-up point 15mins before departure. Travel can be 90mins. The coach needs to arrive 1hr before first event. Then hang around for hours before the 100m and Long Jump. Then again hang around for another couple of hours before the 90min trip home…….and then back to your home…..About 8am to 7pm.
    Chairwomen: What !…Now Who is taking the Piss .. ? (…oops…pardon my French). Tea and Cake anyone ?

#158338 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

SLL – the YDL is nothing to do with UKA or EA. It is effectively organised by the clubs who compete through an elected committee.

The Lower Age competition runs very well and the upper age matches are long because every event is included. If you try to put in rotation of events or any other measures to reduce the timetable, those with a vested interest will block it. That is clubs, not the NGB!

#158341 Reply
    Profile photo of BillLaws
    billaws

Mark E, The YDL concept was initiated through UKA who received a grant of £150,000 to get it off the ground. It was endorsed by the Lord Coe who felt that there was too much competition for the better athletes.

Regarding club rankings does anyone remember the annual club rankings published in AW in the 1980’s by john Lunn of Leeds. He ranked the top 3 in every event in each club and produced a list of the top 100 clubs based on the accumulative scores. That was a mammoth task in the days when topsinathletics and P10 were not available.

#158343 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

Bill
    A number of years after that particular funding based initiative, the timetable and other structural issues are the responsibility of an elected committee.
    I am sure that UKA have a few on the future of Leagues but they are still run by the participating clubs.

#158346 Reply

Zac

YDL still obsesses (spelling?) about restricting the competition to tax payers only, turning athletics into a closed sport.

The separation of the 14 year olds was only instigated because the funding strategy required age groups be restricted from 14 to 25. This enabled the England Athletics and UK Athletics to fully exploit the easy money, by creating a league which was not polluted with 12 and 13 year olds.

This meant the Under 15’s had to be separated from the Under 17’s, which gave birth to the YDL as two age groups.

In 2017 Middlesex have created a new league which unites the U15’s and U13’s with the U11’s and U17’s. It ran on and on, and everyone loved it. It was a joy to be part of.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=191082&pagenum=2

I was chief timekeeper, and am unlicensed. This means if any young athletes needed to make a negligence claim against the organisers (which they didn’t) we wouldn’t have had £10 million worth lawyers paid for with UKA insurance to fight them in the courts.

Edw Warner OBE will be gone by the end of the year, and suspicions are that NdV’s CV is being prepared for a relaunch. When they are gone, you can be the funding will soon follow, and hopefully athletics will once again become an open sport.

#158350 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

Zac
    Can you give me some examples of other sports who do not have any form of subscription? And also tell me how much it costs to participate (compete) in gymnastics, cycling, swimming, triathlon, taekwondo and other martial arts?

#158352 Reply
    Southlondonllad

You asked for examples. My Local squash,badminton.table tennis leagues……. And .(pertinent to my earlier post) … My Bowls club allow anyone to compete against other teams providing they pay club subs.

#158353 Reply
    Southlondonllad

You asked for examples. My Local squash,badminton.table tennis leagues……. And .(pertinent to my earlier post) … My Bowls club allow anyone to compete against other teams providing they pay club subs.

#158367 Reply
    Profile photo of fangio
    Fangio

That is clubs not sports SLL. You can join athletics clubs without ngb subscription too.

#158368 Reply

noggin

If you want to make a comparison please compare like for like or do some research.

England Squash Association membership which is required to be “Eligible to participate in all England Squash competitions and events” costs £10
    English Badminton (compete level) is £20 via a club and £25 direct to include competition licence. There is “play level” which costs £10 via a club and £15 direct.

The free-to-enter “Squash ladder” at the local leisure centre is not a true comparison to athletics as it is the equivalent to a members league at the local athletics club

#158369 Reply
    Southlondonllad

I’m not taking about sport centre in-house leagues. My pertinent examples are local various clubs competing against each other in local mini leagues.

#158370 Reply
    Southlondonllad

I’m not taking about sport centre in-house leagues. My pertinent examples are local various clubs competing against each other in local mini leagues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Team-Personal-Best ,has you Club signed up ?
Your information: