Home Forum General Stuff Main Forum Northern Athletics

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Zac 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Brian

Hi, our running club will be looking at the proposals from Northern Athletics in the near future. I’d be interested to know what approaches other clubs have taken and what they see as the pros and cons of the proposal. Any input welcome thanks.

#160105 Reply
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Good Luck with this one……
    For England Athletics view on this issue , see their News Item . link https://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics-news/england-athletics-statement-on-northern-athletics-funding-proposal

#160113 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

Good luck indeed.

What saddens me is that the sport shoots itself in the foot at source. Every sport in the country has a scheme for Membership and the majority are more expensive than athletics. However many within our sport want everything for nothing.

#160114 Reply

Zac

Athletics relies on voluntary labour, which is why the grass roots of the sport has been so successful at gathering more money than it knows what to do with. How much money has your club or county got in the bank?
    The idea that Athletics is somehow missing a trick by being so cheap just demonstrates the gulf in values of the two sides. Athletics could be a lot cheaper if England Athletics merged with the voluntary sport.
    Northern Athletics has just two responsibilities. Firstly to harvest the finest athletic talent in their area, and secondly to organise competition to allow that talent to rise to the top. They do not need anyone’s permission to perform these tasks.
    England Athletics have just one responsibility. To pay the wages of their many staff.
    These two organisations, with two sets of values cannot work together. England Athletics needs Northern Athletics to be subordinate and compliant. If Northern Athletics choose to stand tall, it will become obvious to the younger generation how small and irrelevent England Athletics, and UK Athletics actually are.
    England Athletics and UK Athletics will eventually fold when government tire of funding them. Our sport is doomed to exist in a hand-to-mouth limbo land until they are gone. The sooner that happens the better.

Good luck Northern Athletics in taking charge of their own destiny. You can bet the South will soon follow.

#160121 Reply
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

MarkE
    When you wrote … ‘many in the sport’…..did you mean the majority or a minority ?
    I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say it should cost NOTHING for anyone wishing to join and train at a ,club or to compete in athletics via a club, county events or national events or Open meetings, I’ve never heard anyone say it should be free ? Have you, truly?
    As you may remember, years ago I posted regularly against the introduction by EA for athlete Registration Fee. It didn’t need a brain surgeon to know it would soon become a fabulous cash-cow, increasing rapidly year on year.
    However, despite huge objections at the time I have to accept we lost that battle and we are where we are. But this should not stop people questioning and scrutinising how the money is spent.
    In this regard it would seem reasonable to me for Northern Athletics could put a strong case to England Athletics to return at least £35,000 a year from money sent to them by Northern athletes via Northern Clubs.(If this means one less EA Club Support Office ,whatever they do effectively, then so be it).

#160122 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

Many in the road running fraternity do think everything should be free….thank you Park Run.

A significant number of others in the sport think what we do should be cheaper than other sports.

#160123 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    Mark E

And some of those who balk at paying club membership subs at a level that allows the club to sustain itself will gladly pay a barely qualified ‘coach’ to run a session round a park at anything from £2 to £5 per session.

#160126 Reply

Zac

I have no issue with the payment of club subscriptions and competition entry fees. The athletes can see what they are getting.
    My issue is for a parasite organisation to tax the club/athlete relationships in order to fund their operation, which is basically just a tax collecting scam, aka the England Athletics Registration Fee.
    I think we are in agreement their.
    Yes we have lost the battle. I think we are in agreement their as well.
    I am not sure anything will improve until England Athletics and UK Athletics convert to being volunteer organisations and restrict themselves to providing useful services to the sport, rather than clinging onto the wage earning model, which requires their first priority to be raising funds by taxing athletes.
    As regards “cheap” that is just an interpretation. If money is taken out of equation, then terms line cheap and expensive are not an issue. It can be argued that the voluntary labour provided by a coach for free is of such a high quality, and a huge number of hours, year after year, it is ridiculous to try and pay for it in financial terms. It can only be viable if the coach gives the time for free. Call it leisure and pay for it accordingly. If anyone calls it hard work, and demands payment, then set yourself up as “personal trainer”. See how the eyebrows of your paymaster, the athletes raise everytime you tell them you need to work more hours in order to maintain the improvement. That is the conflict you cannot avoid.
    If anyone wants to call free coaching cheap, so be it. It is just freedom for diverse groups to approach training in diverse ways.
    Competition providers are free to charge whatever entry fees they wish. These models are sustainable.
    The only reason England Athletics and UK Athletics need relatively high registration fees, is because it represents a 15% voucher to take to government and ask for 85% of their financial need to be paid for out of the central pot as grant funding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Northern Athletics
Your information: