Home Forum General Stuff Non payment of England Athletics Fee

This topic contains 311 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark E Mark E 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 312 total)
  • Author

KPhurdle

Best / worst example on display today of poaching (or coercement in terms of £££) was on display at the SEAA 12 stage today.
    A lot of people with a lot to say about Newham – they finished a fine 3rd but what annoyed was the fact that not a single athlete even came from London (or lives in London never mind Newham).
    Bob Smith lauding it as usual – he should surely hang his development manager head in shame.

(And no Im not just bitter as they beat my lads)

#148169 Reply

hank

I think the vast majority of clubs would love this issue delt with. I exctect those at the helm to be able to deal with the accusation of being ‘overbearing’ and create a climate where good clubs thrive, and poor ones sink.

#148170 Reply

I- should- get-a-life

Bob smith is Area (London) manager, CCSOs’ are those with a development brief. There are three other area managers across the country and more CCSOs’.

#148171 Reply
    Profile photo of Jamie McHale
    Masterj

Poaching by clubs has gone on for decades many runners at London clubs don’t come from London. It happens at many big clubs across the country, nothing new.

#148172 Reply
    Profile photo of Fairy Smoke
    Fairy Smoke

This sort of stuff starts to look a bit unrealistic in the 21st century and particularly in an area that includes London. Most of the SBH team don’t live that near Copthall and don’t come from Barnet; I don’t know the home addresses of the Kent guys but I would guess several of them have a club nearer to their front door than Kent AC HQ.
    Looking at the less illustrious members of the NEB team today, I suggest that the ‘coercement in terms of £££’ is more like ‘ppp’. And if the club helps its quickest runners to be less out of pocket in pursuing excellence – then what’s so bad about that

#148173 Reply

KPhurdle

I should get a life-
    He is actually shown as London Development manager.

There are no CCSO’s in London and havent been for a couple of years (we tried to contact one via London A but despite numerous requests never heard).

There are a lot of Activators around though (not sure what they do though).

Master J-
    Of course it goes on and it always will. What pees people off I think is the fact that Newham obviously attract them with their money and team of coaches etc.
    They are clearly more attractive than other clubs – what do they offer?
    Money?
    Facilities?
    Coaching?
    Warm weather training?
    Kit drops?

#148174 Reply

KPhurdle

Looking at the results (I hadnt seen them at the event today until sitting down now)
    I have to admit I was wrong in 2 respects.
    2 of the Newham team who ran are London boys I think?
    Mumin Gala (nee Geele) and Samamatar Farah.

#148175 Reply
    Profile photo of Mark E
    MarkE

Hank
    The warm weather training is self funded. L. I am going with 1 athlete for a week with a Yokshire club group. All self funded. It is difficult to justify paying for a small group when they are such a minority within the club (assuming that is what you are asking).

#148176 Reply

I- should- get-a-life
    #148177 Reply

hank

That was my gist Mark. We lose athletes to clubs/teams that we have out performed in the younger age groups for over 20 years. When they get to a certain level (and some nowhere near that level) they approach the club and say ‘I want this, that and the other paid for or I am leaving’.

I agree with PIAA that national leagues have run their course. We need an inter regional series for national level athlete. Clubs should stick to the level below, perhaps with a national league final match.

#148178 Reply

I- should- get-a-life

A proposal on “New Competition Models” was delivered at the East Midland’s Consultation in 2014. It has received little feedback as far as I know.
    http://www.englandathletics.org/about-england-athletics/england-athletics-consultation/2014-consultation
    and look at Club Conference Slides – East Midlands

I have some evidence that UKA have a Strategy Group looking at competition, commissioned by its board and has a number of interested parties, who are in part is made up of volunteers from across the country.

#150154 Reply

john bicourt

You mean another “talking shop” or as UKA like to call it, a “consultation”!

#150155 Reply
    MasterJ

I read the article in RW about John Bicourt setting up the 10 mile run at various venues across the country twice a year on the same dates. Would entrants have to be registered with EKA John to enter?

#150156 Reply
    MasterJ

EA not EKA

#157961 Reply

D Steward

Its the principle Why are under 18s allowed to compete in the County Champs without paying the £12 fee and yet older people are not? I for one at the age of 57 have given athletic ( after 50 years) as no longer able to enter Open Events without being a club member and paying this £12 TAX Well done England Athletics; lets make the sport elitist and only open to those we can control and charge.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 312 total)
Reply To: Non payment of England Athletics Fee
Your information: