Home Forum Racing, Training & Coaching Track & Field If you are really bored…..

This topic contains 53 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of southlondonllad southlondonllad 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Thomas Baldwin

My preview for the 1st leg of the 2017 Diamond League in Doha is now up!:

DOHA DIAMOND LEAGUE PREVIEW

Enjoy!

#157880 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

Shanghai DL preview:

SHANGHAI DIAMOND LEAGUE PREVIEW

#157891 Reply
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Thanks Thomas….I enjoyed reading them and was enlightened by both recent reviews…..keep them coming.

Closer to home,have you considered doing a preview for the UK World Champs Trials at Birmingham , 1st -2nd July ?

#158098 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

My preview for the Prefontaine classic tomorrow:

https://athleticsappetizer.com/2017/05/26/prefontaine-classic-preview-2017/

#158100 Reply
    southlondonllad

Thanks Thomas for your summary……For me, the first 2 Diamond League meetings were lacklustre and a bit disappointing….But this 3rd one does ,on paper , offer more intrigue and interest for me…..and so I intend to watch it live on TV .
    On my TV its channel 413. Eurosport 2 ,from 7.55pm – 11.00pm tonight Saturday 27th May….and highlights on BBC2 Sunday 2.30pm

#158118 Reply
    southlondonllad

Mo was excellent……Laura Muir 8 -out of -10 ,but still lots of potential. Different tactics will improve her chances ….imo, she needs front run to have drained the legs of the top opposition before the last 300m
    Good to see a fair number of other Brits participating , and still early season for them so lots more expected.
    And,as the TV commentator said.. Womens sprint .”Its not often you see Daphne Schiffers finishing down in 4th ” ! (my comment: I do hope the clear winner with a huge PB was clean )

#158148 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

SouthLononLad

I am pretty sure I will do a British Champs preview this year. The Paris DL is the same weekend so I will probably need to do the British Champs preview a week or so earlier. I am attending this year as well so should be good!

My preview for the Rome DL is below!

https://athleticsappetizer.com/2017/06/06/rome-diamond-league-preview/

#158151 Reply
    southlondonllad

Thanks again Thomas…..a well written article on the forthcoming Rome event.
    The Diamond League can be exciting and worth tuning in to, especially to us who already have a passion for T&F athletics……..The problem ,in my eyes, is that the organisers do themselves no favours in how they market these events. They are a great money earner for top athletes and most enjoyable events for local attendees … . But for the ‘general sports lover , the uninitiated average TV viewer, flicking round with their remote, I submit they will not stay too long watching .
    Firstly, it’s difficult to see how this can justify it, and describe it as a ‘ league’….its not a ‘league’ in the traditional sense. …At least Triathlon sensibly call theirs a ‘series’ .
    Secondly, part of the fun and interest in watching competitive sport its important for the viewer to clearly disguise between one competitor and the others. When most of the Diamond League athletes are all dressed exactly the same its not easy or sensible TV viewing.
    Thirdly, to the uninitiated viewer who you are looking to engaged so they click the ‘record series ‘ button on their TVBox its important not to top load every distance event with one Nation. It would be like having 2 Man City teams in the Prem league because they have biggest and best players…….and both squads playing in the same kit.
    Fourthly….The TV camera coverage and viewing angles could be much improved for the long throws.

#158401 Reply
    southlondonllad

I spent last weekend watching the European Team Cup…..on BBC Red Button . Hours upon hours of track & field (a bit like a UKYDL match, haha)…. …..personally and perversely I enjoyed it. 8 out of 10 for the coverage, 6 out of 10 for GB team performance. Relays a let down. ……Wife and children tactically left me to it for most Saturday and Sunday, just popped into to watch the odd sprint and mid distance races…and they are still heavily involved and keen with T&F……….But I wondered how many other armchair viewers tuned in for long ?
    The Diamond League has not really engaged me much this year, as yet. But am really looking forward to this weekends GB Trials….here’s hoping for a few unexpected athletes to make the grade.
    Thomas…where’s your Review ?

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
Reply To: If you are really bored…..
Your information: