Home Forum Racing, Training & Coaching Track & Field If you are really bored…..

This topic contains 53 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of southlondonllad southlondonllad 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

…para 3 … missed out the word NOT……and we cant edit on here anymore…..should read:— 3.Athletics on TV , like Football, does NOT have to be live.

#153054 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

southlondonllad

Thanks for your comments and apologies for not seeing them until now! I realise that some of the ideas are difficult but something radical needs to happen to get that average viewer’s age down!

I was at the EA Champs this past weekend and written a little post about my experiences there, there were some good performances so check it out if you have a spare minute!

https://athleticsappetizer.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/the-ea-age-group-indoor-championships/

#153055 Reply
    southlondonllad

Hi Thomas….I read your post/blog and I think you have listed the main highlights. I did watch a lot of the VINCO streaming over the two days and I think they did a good job. I mostly tuned into the track streaming , and occasionally looked that the field events streamed separately . I actually like the laid back commentary of the guy who covered most of it. He made me laugh with his occasional ‘digs at the officials’.eg . when they was a exceptionally long delay for athletes taken to start line/lanes to when the gun being fired. I agree the England Athletics should be doing more to attract a younger age group to be more engaged with T&F athletes. I did my little bit by providing the VINCO streaming link on my FACEBOOK group(yes even at my age I have one) and as a result a few younger ‘friends’ also tuned in.

There was nothing mentioned (that I could see) on the London Region website, which was a shame and a missed opportunity. These were two long days for the officials and the athletes, (and you/VINCO). Perhaps that’s one of the reason why it will continue to be a challenge to attract the younger viewer.

Also, I appreciate that being present and watching live’ is a different experience from the narrow view on a laptop. However, what came across to me was that most of the time, including when races were underway, there was often a distinct lack of ‘atmosphere and excitement’.
    I mentioned on another Eightlane topic post that there was a noticeable lack of u15yr boys…..Was this something that you noticed ?

#153182 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

A post on my thoughts over numerous recent stories and events with the World Indoor Champs coming up next week. Enjoy!

http://athleticsappetizer.com/2016/03/11/my-thoughts-on-recent-news-and-events/

#153256 Reply
    southlondonllad

Hi Thomas …just read you latest report while eating my Special K….(I don’t think its yet on the band list). A ‘pick and mix’ topics you write about this time. As for the Worlds Indoors ..I happy GB are sending one of the largest squads…but still feel sad they refused ‘the once in a lifetime’ opportunity for some of the invited UK athletes….and not even tell them . My view is UKA/GB should ALWAYS that send as many as possible. Not to do so sends out wrong negative messages.
    Look forward to reading you next update.

#153304 Reply
    southlondonllad

Nathan Douglas posted on Facebook: I have just found out that I was invited to the Portland World Indoor Championships by the IAAF, that invitation was turned down by British Athletics on my behalf without any consultation with me, none at all.
    In this day and age this should not happen.
    I am not happy with but I understand they may not want to take an athlete. But, what I find truly disappointing and upsetting is the lack of transparency and no communication channel to the athlete. We should be consulted on decisions involving our career or at the very least informed, not finding out by the grapevine.

As athletes we work tirelessly to compete for our country, make our country and families proud. Often pushing through pain to achieve our goals and making many sacrifices along the way, only for our countries governing body to decline that chance that our world governing body has given us without even consulting us. For the athletes it is disheartening and disappointing. Wheres the encouragement?

#153307 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

southlondonllad

Many thanks for your comments by the way and taking the time to read my posts. In terms of the recent invite rejections (I had written my piece just as that news came out) I think it is a bit silly, UKA are trying to be consistent with their ‘stricter’ policies but I’ve always felt that anyone who can go should go to these championships as that is what the athletes train for!

My preview for the world indoor championships has just been published with part 1 today and part 2 tomorrow. Here is the link for part 1 and I hope people enjoy it!

http://athleticsappetizer.com/2016/03/15/world-indoor-championships-preview-part-1/

#153316 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

Part two of my World Indoor Championships Preview:

http://athleticsappetizer.com/2016/03/16/indoor-world-championships-preview-part-2/

Enjoy!

#153317 Reply
    southlondonllad

Thanks again Thomas.. a good summary, which enlightens me with some names I have never heard of. I still think Valerie Adams with win the shot gold.
    I shall be keen to tune into the BBC TV broadcasts and shall be looking foreword to the women’s Long Jump….and wish Jasmine well….and also will watch with much interest Morgan Lakes performances…..and my current non British ‘favourite’ Dafne Schippers

#153318 Reply
    southlondonllad

please ignore my extremely poor spelling

#153344 Reply
    southlondonllad

Hi Thomas…..will you be doing a summary post champs update of how these Indoors went from a GB point of view….and how did you do overall with your predictions.?

I see that GB was place 16th on the medals table….with 5 other European team higher up the league table.

#153817 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

SouthLondonLad, apologies for the last reply but obviously now I won’t do a post-champs review. I thought 3 medals for Britain was fine and about what I expected. World Indoors aren’t the best indicator of success, just look at Kenya for example! In terms of medals my predictions went pretty well actually, if you compare my table with the actual table it is pretty similar so was happy with that.

My latest post is looking at 10 athletes to look out for in 2016. I may do another post profiling others but these are the top I went with! Feel free to check it out!

10 BRITISH ATHLETES TO WATCH OUT FOR IN 2016

#153863 Reply
    southlondonllad

Thanks Thomas…I have just read your informative report……..I agree that the 400m will be interesting event to monitor this season particularly if Christine O does her usual thing and peaks for the trials/champs. Also ,I do hope Perri Shakes-Drayton can get a few decent races in before the UK trials…but maybe , I thinks, that being out of action for over 2 years, it will be remarkable if she can get a team place with so little time left.

I will be adding to my own list of ‘ Brits-To-watch 2016’ will be Laura Muir and Eilish McColgan

#154290 Reply

Thomas Baldwin

Olympic trials tomorrow! Here is my preview for all the Olympic qualifying events:

2016 British Athletics Championships and Olympic Trials Preview

Enjoy!

#154293 Reply
    southlondonllad

Thanks (again) Thomas…..I enjoyed the read…Weather permitting, it should be a good and exciting weekend of athletics…..I shall be looking forward to many events, but the 400m and 800m women races should be crackers……shame also that Andrew Osagie is nowhere to be seen again this year. Any idea why ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
Reply To: If you are really bored…..
Your information: