Home Forum General Stuff Crystal Palace Under Treat of Closure

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Trickstat trickstat 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Crystal Palace Under Treat of Closure says yesterdays London Evening Standard.
    (copied from old google news) “ Plans unveiled by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, detail four different options for the £10m redevelopment of the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre site. These four options are currently open for public consultation until 16th November. So what happened to this commissioned consultation process over 4 years ago ?
    If the Stratford (West Ham FC stadium) is expected to continue providing international standard athletic events for just a few weeks each year then I cannot see a future for a new 17,000 seater at Crystal Palace , nor one which would attract fee paying public to attend additional low key events.
    Just my opinion …..but I would have thought the site and the southern location cries out for an Indoor Athletic Centre( And one that could be used 24 x 7 multi-use) . Lea Valley Indoor Athletic Centre has branched out and includes a variety of other sports. Its my understanding all 33 London Boroughs contribute some money yearly to keep it going. If the empty and rundown Crystal Palace stadium is already costing over £1m a year to ‘look after’ then perhaps a 20 year mortgage could acquired over £25million to build it.
    Has anyone asked the local clubs and athletes ? eg “Given the choice would you prefer a state of the art new Indoor Centre, 200m ,6 lanes ,with a basic 8 lane track outside (small stand for shelter ) or no Indoor track but a 17,000 seated to hold you UKYDL meeting in ?

#160349 Reply
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Threat not Treat ,obviously

#160382 Reply
    Profile photo of Trickstat
    trickstat

I agree with you on this. I don’t think Crystal Palace is viable as a 17,000 seat stadium and there are other options to host things like SEAA Champs. However, it does seem viable to have an indoor centre and an outdoor track there. If it went completely it would leave the South-Eastern ‘quadrant’ of London desperately short of athletics facilities with a number of those that do exist on the outer fringes of Greater London and outside the London postal area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Crystal Palace Under Treat of Closure
Your information: