Home Forum General Stuff Are You Looking Forward to Commonwealth Games ? .

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of southlondonllad southlondonllad 2 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Are You Looking Forward to the Commonwealth Games ?
    Yes ! Definitely……But……(I know ,theres always a ‘but’ with me)….But I think this is the first time I can think of when England (or UK ) team does not have (what I call) a household name, a Star,. I do hope England athletes do well and peak, get PB’s….and win a few medals.
    Apart from the athletics I shall be setting the TV timer to record , sports not seen at an Olympics…….and that will include Bowls …don’t knock until you try it !

#160446 Reply
    southlondonllad

100m mens final….an unexpected winner….Just watch it on BBC 2 live (Monday 1pm) with analysis of the race by the great Michael Johnson….but did we really need to see the same race 14 times over a period of 15 minutes.??……talk about padding it out.

#160478 Reply
    southlondonllad

Had the usual few beers on Sunday night with my ‘cricket ‘ pals and the census was they had really really enjoyed the TV coverage of the Games . They certainly were glued to numerous lively and memorable moments…. that also got their teenage childen engaged and sitting on the edge of the sofa. Sadly none could remember any Track & Field events apart from a few minutes of the mens marathon. And in many ways there lies the rub…..T&F athletics is relatively just one dimensional, Whereas many other sports, particularly team sports, are more dynamic and so unpredictable. Eg Netball , Hockey, Rugby 7’s…also requiring the ability be strong, run fast, jump high, throw well…..and have ‘team camaraderie.’
    T&F Athletics has a most difficult challenge going forward to compete with such other sports.

#160482 Reply

Michael White

But for participation in sport running knocks all those other sports on the head. Michael White

#160484 Reply
    southlondonllad

Agreed Michael….but what percentage of ‘runners’ are competitive. So, lets leave aside the thousands who do ParkRuns and variations of jogging groups. I’m talking about Club/Uni Track & Field athletes let say over the same of 21yr who aspire to compete at reasonably high level. eg County upwards?
    One Sunday night pub pal, a Grandparent, raised an interesting point. He said he went along to schools sports day last summer. The most fun and public interest was NOT in the straight forward short sprints. In fact,it was the races that had dynamic technical skills and the which ‘uncertainty’ in the outcome…. such as the sack race, (half fell over) the egg and spoon race ( half cheated with thumb )……and the best of all, grandparent said, the 3 legged race…! (half went off in different directions).
    Now if the forthcoming summer ‘British Athletics World Cup’ (half the world are not invited ?) were to hold a senior male/female 100m sprint 3-Legged Race I bet that would get a big TV watch…..and I may even pay the £70 cheap Green tickets to witness the ‘post race reaction !’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Are You Looking Forward to Commonwealth Games ? .
Your information: