Home Forum General Stuff Am I still a Coach ?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of southlondonllad southlondonllad 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of southlondonllad
    southlondonllad

Am I still a coach ?

YES …..in the eyes (wrongly) of UKA .
    I respect all Track & Field coaches, and know from past experience how much dedication and time you need to commit to supporting club athletes. . However, I have not been an active coach for over 5 years. Since then I have only been an active club T&F Official.
    Today in the post I received from UKA, quote “ I am pleased to enclose your NEW UKA Coach Licence. Expiry Date 2020. “ (will be about the time I should get my free TV licence) .
    The wife likes the photo of me on the licence as she says I look at least 25 years younger than I do today…….a lot more darker hair, and a smile. ( I do still have my own teeth)
    How many other previously qualified coaches , who have been long retired ,and no longer active for some years are STILL included in a NGB out-of-date database ?
    Note to the Chairman, of the National Council : – You can add that one to your list .

#157219 Reply
    Profile photo of BillLaws
    billaws

SLL, Love your sense of humour but you raise a serious point. UKA have always had the data on coaches as they issue the licences. The true numbers have always been discussed by ABAC in various Fact Files and articles. It is amazing that Sport England, who fund UKA, have never bottomed out the claims of coach numbers. At a meeting with Nick Bittel and other SE luminaries I pointed out that Sports Coach UK claimed over 60,000 athletics coaches when the true number is closer to 3,000. It is a National disgrace that athletics conceal and prevaricate about coach numbers.

#157280 Reply
    southlondonllad

Bill , Yes I was being a bit flippant….but agree its not a great situation . I think Athletics is the only major sport that deliberately fails to publish active qualified coaches, assistant coaches etc. Yes it is a disgrace.

What’s properly worse is that the Board no doubt believe in their own in-house, and hidden from public scrutiny, the flawed figures held on their database ….. me as but one example.

For future beneficial planning reasons,every 10 years the Civil Service publish a National Census….(No doubt PIAA and Fangio would object to these figures too) ….So how difficult would it be for each Affiliated Club to return an ‘Active‘ Coach and Officials Census every 3 years , broken down into levels. Such an survey Online would limit any actual effort needed ( God forbid) by the NGB Admin staff.

#157281 Reply

PIAA

It would rely people bothering to complete it and would therefor likely not be an accurate reflection of actual activity, more a reflection of survey return rate.

It would also be completely abused by Bill and Co, who would no doubt compare numbers with past figures that had no such indication of the coach being active and which gave a license in perpetuity.

I would also challenge that other sports publish current active coaches. In my experience they know the license is current but not whether the coach is active.

#157282 Reply
    southlondonllad

Oh….so in your eyes it would be reliant on a dedicated athletic enthusiast, usually a loyal club volunteer , possibly the Membership Secretary to be ‘ bothered ‘ !!….Do me a favour , ……

#157284 Reply
    Profile photo of fangio
    fangio

Yes, SLL, they would need to be bothered to check if the coach that coaches at their track, with athletes from various clubs was to be on the census for their club, or the club of one of the other athletes. If they don’t check that then they either double count or no one puts the coach in on their census. How about the coach who does not coach any athletes form the local club? Some coaches register who they coach on Power of 10, some don’t because they can’t be bothered. It is unlikely that an accurate picture of coach numbers would be forthcoming, without the NGB making it a requirement that every coach logs that they are coaching every year, but with no penalty for it (any penalty would surely have people up in arms about the NGB bullying coaches) the figures are unlikely to be accurate.

Sure they could be collected on a like for like basis every year, but would they show a rise in coaches etc, or just how successful the data collection process had been?

#157285 Reply

PIAA

Point 1 – this would have to be filled by coaches not be clubs as coaches do not necessarily operate in a club context.

Point 2 – if there is no substantial incentive to complete or penalty for not completing the survey then yes I am saying people will likely not bother. If it doesn’t impact the actual delivery of your sessions then it’s not a priority for people. You know this is true, hence why there is always uproar when the NGB asks people to do admin.

#157286 Reply
    southlondonllad

Negativity from you both…… …why do you both have such ‘Can’t Do’ sentiments…where’s your positivity and optimism and trust in Clubs.
    As you are both aware there are many types of Census , most are by no means not perfect but still offer many benefits. I personally feel us knowing the status of our sport this year, followed by 3yrs, 6yrs, 9yrs and so on will provide a smidgen of opportunity for trends (good and bad) to be covered in strategic and tactical planning.
    You both give the impression that you are constantly sitting next to each other ( a touch worrying) and enjoy ‘hunting’ in packs ? Or are you really the same person with two user log-ons ?
    I hope you don’t think my next question objectionable but I need to ask it any way : – Do you actually like athletics ?
    I’m now so curious to find out which of you will reply first….My monies on Fangio

#157287 Reply
    Profile photo of fangio
    Fangio

Why the goading SLL.

Your thread was bemoaning inaccurate figures, you put forward an alternative, I pointed out why it would also be inaccurate, I thought you were looking for accurate methodologies, turns out you were just moaning about the current system.

Personally I would ask coaches to log on on each anniversary and deactivate by confirming their contact details. But I know that some would say that was the ngb bullying.

I do find your question objectionable, just as I find your personal goading objectionable. I love the sport, and posted on here about the enjoyable aspects for years with a very large number of others. Unfortunately they were driven off by the anti ngb brigade who turned every thread into attacking the ngb. So now I post elsewhere on the aspects I enjoy, with others who love the sport.

#157288 Reply
    Profile photo of fangio
    Fangio

Ps, why the digs about being the same person etc, we are not, but it has fuck all to do with anything other than ad hominem attacks. Grow up and play the ball not the man, my identity is not the issue here.

#157289 Reply

PIAA

SLL,

It’s nothing to do with confidence in clubs. It’s human nature. In general people do care one bit about submitting data if it isn’t part of what they need to do to carry out the activity they want to do.

If you want to do a sample then you need to select and pursue that sample. Relying on self selection skews the validity of the sample.

I realise you see this as negativity, but it’s not. It’s a realisation of the limitations of methodologies. I think you actually understand and conceded this point, hence why your response is largely just personal attack.

#157295 Reply
    Profile photo of BillLaws
    billaws

Groan.!!!

#157372 Reply

Lord Longthrow

An urgent independent audit is long over due, but as it cause a huge embarrassment to Government and UKA/EA et al then it will never happen, democracy, transparency and honesty are things we only see in ARC and ABAC , though the Athletics forum police trolls might say different.

#157373 Reply

Lord Knowswhy

I agree with Frank, sorry I mean Lord Longthrow, and as he asserts that we well never get a review, I suggest that we all accept his wisdom and stop talking about having one. Well done Frank.

#158133 Reply
    southlondonllad

An email received today from England Athletics requesting our help to fill up a forthcoming ‘coaching assistance’ course in Bury St Edmunds which for me would be approx. 160 mile round trip times 2 days , 320 mile. Not really on my doorstep but happy to advertise on Eightlane in case anyone out there who knows someone who may be interested.

Email:
    I have the below coaching assistant course planned near to you, which is going ahead but still has places available. Please promote the course with your contact and encourage those interested to apply as soon as possible.

10 June 2017 and 11 June 2017

Coaching Assistant.SC1097
    Bury St Edmunds Leisure Centre, Beetons Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. IP33 3TT

For more information on the course, please click here.

Candidates must be aged 16 or over to complete the course.

Candidates are able to book here

Kind regards

Rebecca Turford
    Education Coordinator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Am I still a Coach ?
Your information: